There are dozens of open source firewall systems to download. Some are complete free, some provides limited free features. Does “free” sound attractive? but they have dis-advantages. In this post, I would like to discuss the comparsion of WFilter NGF with open source firewall systems.
Disadvantages of open source firewalls
- Limited features. Most open source firewalls does not have other enterprise-level features, such as “ usage recording/reports” , “domain integration”…
- Lack of support. Most systems only have forum support, unless paid.
- Slow response. Bugs may need months to be fixed.
WFilter NGF is designed for business networks, with a lot enterprise-level features. In case you want a free solution, open source firewalls can help. However, if you need more features and better support, you’d better choose some commerical products. Below is a list of WFilter NGF advantages comparing to open source firewalls:
- Designed for business networks.
- Enterprise-level features: usage recording, powerful report system, AD integration…
- 7 * 24 dedicated support via email/phone/skype/teamviewer.
- Faster response. Improvements and bugs will be fixed ASAP.